Pages

November 2, 2008

Quilting Hydrangea's

This is the gorgeous fabric I'm using for my foray into One-Block Wonderdom, a gift from my Rob a couple of years ago. He thinks I'm too tough on myself as far as being on the fabric wagon for the last 6-7 years. What he doesn't realize is how much creative juice goes into working strictly from stash which makes for lot more interesting quilts. But bless his heart for this fabric because there are patterns that require a lot of yardage, something I've never bought even when I was buying like there wasn't going to be any fabric tomorrow.

The book says no more than three colors makes the most striking end product. I read this as yellow pink green so hope I don't end up with a broken up mess. the selvage shows 17 color dots :-). This is Lakehouse LH03007 'Hydrangeas and Raspberries w/scroll', the background is overprinted with delicate gilt scroll effects, really lovely. Going by their website, all their designs are outstanding!

One reason I chose this rather than the 1 Fabric Quilts option is because upon reading her directions closely I realized, and I say this without apology, her directions stink. I can only guess by her images you need to do the basic stack and whack procedure but I can find no where to indicate this or if you cut all your yardage out piece by piece. I'm not cutting up my lovely Beyer border fabrics and get in a muddle.

So that's where I am today, standing at the cutting table fondling this stunning fabric. This evening I'll get back to appliquéing baskets for Kudzu. Because now I'm really going to want that working wall cleaned off!

Sunday Appreciations
Elena Brower and Element, my at home DVD yoga teacher
Mrs. Ollie E. Camp, my 1st grade teacher
Mrs. Alice Bingham, my high school journalism teacher

3 comments:

The Numismatist said...

Please keep me updated on what you do with this fabric! I have a couple of lovely large print pieces with lots of yardage that I would like to make into something for our king bed. I look at it often and just can't decide what to do.

I'm counting on you for inspiration.

BizarreQuilter said...

Oh, this is beautiful fabric.

I'm with you on the One Block Wonder front. They are better with more than one fabric. If your fabric is an ugly you are using up, then you might get something interesting out of cutting it to smithereens. Even if it is fussy cutting.

Pleeease keep showing us pics of this gorgeous project as it progresses!!

Loz in Oz

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the one block wonder quilts. Your blocks look spectacular!!!!
hugz
Pam