Pages

January 24, 2009

Repurpose -- I love that word!

I grew up wearing my aunt's hand-me-downs. I didn't mind but it does have some unattractive issues. Repurpose sounds so invigorating, alive, and useful, plus plain old common-sensical.

Here are a couple of repurposed items in my quilt room. I'm packing up my Grandma Pearl's pink depression glass and passing it on to my cousin Margie. But this piece I bought myself for toothpicks. I think it looks great as a flat-head-pin holder.
On the left is a planter, it once had cactus in it on Grandma Pearl's sun porch. I'll bet my grandma really loved me, my favorite job when on a stay-over was wiping down the shelves on said sun porch. What a deal for Grandma! I have a bigger round plant pot in my counter in the kitchen with most often used utensils in it. All three of these items make my heart smile with memories...and repurpose.

Saturday Thankies
Rob will be home soon!
Bookshelves
Well run forums

5 comments:

BizarreQuilter said...

That's the way... only have trinkets that make you smile - and they are useful!! Very FLY :)

Sommer said...

I think I might be a bit jealous of Aunt Margie getting those glasses of Grandma Pearl's! Okay, just kidding...kind of;-)

I love to be able to re-purpose things as well and there is something especially neat about using items of a loved one!

Lots of love,
Sommer(Mike's daughter)

The Numismatist said...

Oh my, the more I read your blog the more I think we are soulmates!

Repurposing rocks!

Thanks for making me smile!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Well - let me try again - I love your clever containers. I have a big fat pitcher with a sunflower on it in the kitchen to hold my utensils. My favorite re-purposing is using crystal banana split boats for corn-on-the-cob, useful and so pretty. In my studio I have an old Mellow Roast coffee can for pens, pencils, seam rippers, paintbrushes, screwdrivers - anything that will stand up in a can. I love old cans. Hope this doesn't come through twice - blogger seems to be cranky today.

Candace said...

Sentimental treasures, the best kind.