Pages

January 7, 2010

Won't See This Egg At Tesco or Safeway

Ever wonder how hens can lay eggs without an episiotomy? The shells are soft when they come out, the underside of hens have super soft feathers, and she hovers lightly over the egg for a short time until the shell hardens.

I'm having a blast with my current quilt project, and it is coming together ever so well. Don't know if 30's reproductions are the right fabric for this but they are cheerful and I have them here and that is enough reason to use them for me. I've been on the fabric wagon since 2001...and I doubt I ever run out of fabric. I wish I'd never 'stocked stash'.

These will finish at six inches and every block is different. I need to get clever about some sashing or border or create more blocks because the 50 patterns from the book won't be enough. I decided long ago big borders just look like the maker ran out of steam. But I have some off-the-wall ideas perking...as usual. These are from the 2001 edition of Faye Anderson's Appliqué Designs My Mother Taught Me To Sew, an awkward title if there ever was one but nothing surprises me with an AQS publication.

These patterns are not original to the author but are based on a 1870's wool felt quilt credited to Hannah Riddle of Woolrich Maine. I'm wondering about the book information, there is no Woolrich Maine, but there is a Woolrich Woolen Mills, and there is a listing of intentions of marriage listed on a geneology site for Henry Tuckerman & Hannah Riddle July 4, 1761 of Woolwich Maine.

Whatever, a number of the shapes are used multiblock, so it will be easy to add more blocks. One unusual thing the author did with her blocks is add sequins with a seed bead which really makes the blocks pop in the cover photo. The blocks also include embroidery which bores me to death and also explains why I'm the worst embroiderer on the face of the earth. I'll do my vines with penwork which I've used on a number of my quilts with good success.

On the home hospice front, I've decided FIL's dementia symptoms are a worse punishment than congestive heart failure, acute renal failure, diabetes, or pulmonary disease. Dementia runs the show here now and the afflicted has no defense against this ghastly disorder of the brain. He knows he can't remember but can't remember that he know that. Try living with that concept 24 hours a day and you will have a window into FIL's life.

Thursday Thankies
The ability to reason
The ability to make choices
The ability to think

6 comments:

Dena said...

I rather like the 30's prints for the appliques. What might work is to turn each block into a star. It will add some interest while showcasing the appliques. Can't wait to see your final quilt.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love the little blocks - can't wait to see more.

Our thoughts are with you and FIL as you go down this road.

Anonymous said...

Ooow! I think we would need stitches after laying/birthing that one!
Thinking of you and yours, and I think you are right, dementia is one of the worst ways of getting old.
Judy B

The Numismatist said...

Ohhh, 30's repros are my absolute favorite. I've been stashing them for ten years and have made dozens of quilts using them.

Loved the comment about borders and running out of steam. I confess that some of my borders were added for exactly that reason, especially scrappy quilts. On the other hand, for my queen sized 30's quilts I love pieced borders. On the other, other hand I really like Dena's suggestion for turning the blocks into stars. I actually have a stack of repro applique blocks that would finish up nicely doing that. Thanks, Dena!

Good thoughts are headed your way along with FIL and hubby.

Anonymous said...

Have you temporarily hung up the hulahoop? Or did it wear out its welcome?

Peggi

Pam said...

The blocks are wonderful
Our new chook shed is just waiting for a door to the run.
Best wishes to you and the family