Pages

April 18, 2011

Letting Go, Being A Sewvivor

April 18, 2011

I am in the process of downsizing my 'stuff' by half. This has been a ten year project to date and I am actually at the light at the end of the tunnel.
Without premeditated intent I've some how turned this spring into a firestorm of shucking off the unnecessary, very successfully, because I've taken to heart some advice. "Staying detached from the outcome creates enough sacred space for an original solution to magically unfold."

I am just, letting go, no strings, good bye. I've come to see superfluous multiple possessions as something like these rocks. Balanced? Perhaps. Frozen? Absolutely. I'm pulling the lynch pin and letting things fall where they may.

Does this mean I've become a zealot, wearing sackcloth and ash and haranguing others to do as I do, do as I say? Hardly. I love my stuff...what remains, because it is truly what I enjoy seeing and using and find beautiful. Without the burden of too much, too many, all being too reflective of poor stewardship of the one life I have.

To that end of downsizing by half I am also shutting down my quilt blog .  I can always be found at my keeper half of blogging, Quirkeries. Say hello once in awhile.
Sharyn

edited to add: In September 2011 I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I share this, because I am so thankful about my downsizing/decluttering.
Now I sew and work and appreciate the beauty and utility of what I have.

edited to add: March 8, 2013. I am home recovering from BAC lung cancer surgery and once again I've been assured they got it all. Again, I'm so grateful not to be overwhelmed by things I don't need and will never use. Life is good.

edited to add: Found a word that covers it all: Sewvivor
=======================================

8 comments:

The Numismatist said...

Noooooo!!! This post has nudged me once again to do some more downsizing, something I've been trying to work on the for last year.

On the other hand, I understand about the blog. As you know, my personal blog has been sadly neglected in the last few months and I've seriously considered shutting it down. Most of my connections are on facebook now, anyway.

How will I get inspired to turn this chair 90 degrees over to my sewing machine without your beautiful quilting photos?

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Facebook was something I jettisoned early on...

How can I reply when your posts go to noreply@gmail :) ?
hugs, Sharyn

justme_alive said...

Sorry to hear this, it's been fun getting to know you again. Hope your paring down goes well. Wishing you many happy days - Kimberly

Pam said...

I love all your posts, thank you so much for sharing and enriching the lives of those around you

Lori said...

I was wondering why I was reading a post for 2010 the other day! LOL

Good luck with your downsizing and minimalizing. I think it's always good and a bit freeing. Although i'll miss your blog.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Thanks for stopping by Lori, Kimmy, and Pam.

I've been reading old posts again this morning and choosing between delete and keep. It is hard to relive taking care of my FIL but I think those were the better posts and will be keepers; some people save photos, I have words...

Robin said...

I have enjoyed reading your journeys over the years.
I like the simplier way of life you are working towards. I will miss your blog but understand to shut out that noise in your world!

Laura Cobb said...

Sharyn... I, too, will miss all your insights and revelations. You are truly "one of a kind". But I understand the need to downsize. We're still working on our cabin. We have a couple of drainage issues that we're working on, too. But we're not giving up! I'm keeping my blog until it starts being a pain to maintain... Then, it will be gone, too. Will check back here every few days, just to see if you've posted anything new.